Innovations and innovators: in quest of entrepreneurial talent
Entrepreneurship is the driving force of a country’s economy. Fostering development of entrepreneurship is a non-trivial task. A rule of thumb states that one cannot do with investments alone. The funds invested in training entrepreneurs do not pay off. Expensive innovation infrastructure does not provide sufficient conversion of successful entrepreneurial projects. What is the reason?
Perhaps the fact is that entrepreneurs are not made, but are born, isn’t it?
WHAT’S THE IDEA?
WHAT DO WE WANT TO UNDERSTAND?
KEY ISSUES OF THE RESEARCH
- How to detect entrepreneurial talent?
- Entrepreneurial mindset: what is its special feature?
- What should be the Entrepreneur of the future?
- What are attributes of entrepreneurship?
- What is “anti-ideology” of entrepreneurial activity?
- What is the difference between invention and entrepreneurship?
- How to develop an entrepreneurial project? What are necessary components of a successful entrepreneurial project? What role does the project team play?
- What are reasons for the low survival rate of startups in business incubators?
1. Each historical period needs its own type of entrepreneur.
The prototype of entrepreneurs was both merchants and inventors. In the third millennium, the time for a new type of entrepreneur has come: the Entrepreneur of the future, who not only create breakthrough innovations, but also thinks projectively, in accordance with the concept of global coevolution.
2. Entrepreneurial talent is multi-faceted.
Different combinations of entrepreneurial cognitive and psychological features create various types of entrepreneurs. This diversity of the entrepreneurial “species” is not limited to subspecies Investor, Manager and Innovator. In the current entrepreneurial ecosystem, the most prominent is Epigone, a subspecies that occupies the position between Manager and Innovator.
3. Successful entrepreneurial project is related to two constructs.
One of the constructs is anti-ideology which is a necessary attribute of entrepreneurship, another construct is deployed around the attribute of prospectivity (i.e., in our definition of an entrepreneurial project, “projectness” is not an allusion to a “temporary organization”, this means projective thinking, the projective idea of the entrepreneur-initiator with the projective mindset, who comes to a fore, since (s)he is the main “designer” of the project).
4. Solution to the problem of entrepreneurship development is not to find a way to increase the number of new businesses, but to increase their “life expectancy”, and ensure their development and growth.
One of these ways is application of the Management of Developing Projects (MDP) Method.
FINDINGS OF THE RESEARCH
- Classification of psychotypes of the key subjects of entrepreneurial activity.
- The Concept of entrepreneurship anti-ideology.
- The Management of Developing Projects (MDP) Method.
- Models of behavioral preferences for predetermining specific features of formation of economic activities key subjects’ goals and motivational attitudes.